Friday, July 17, 2009

Peter Scholtes, 1938 - 2009

I was saddened to learn this week of the passing of Peter Scholtes. He was a very wise, funny, and compassionate person, whom I was lucky to meet and collaborate with during involvement with such professional associations as the Association for Quality and Participation and the W. E. Deming Institute. I had become interested in learning and applying Dr. Deming's management philosophy, and Peter had studied from, and taught with, Dr. Deming.

Peter led an interesting life, having spent time as a parish priest, musician-composer, social worker, teacher, community organizer, therapist, author, or consultant. He enjoyed helping and being with others. Although he was an internationally recognized speaker and author, he was a very humble person and always looking to learn from others.

My career in the Navy provided an opportunity to attend many workshops that Peter led for the Defense Department. We developed a close rapport and spent quite a bit of time together in the DC area and at conferences in such net cities as Cincinnati and Portland (in 1996). My first introduction to the Rose City.

Peter was very encouraging of my efforts to write, teach and consult. He was a helpful role model for as I started Miles2Go Seminars and Consulting. I will miss him on a personal and professional level.

No comments: