
During the early 1960's I enjoyed the TV comedy Car 54, Where Are You? Car 54 portrayed a number of well-intentioned but generally bungling NYPD cops. The show followed in the footsteps of the Keystone Kops and the character Mike the Cop on the Abbott & Costello TV show.
Key roles were played by Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis; both later starred in The Munsters TV show.
Sadly (?) TV portrayals of police these days take a more gritty (but perhaps realistic) perspective.
In any case, I don't know where police car #54 is these days (or even how NYPD police cars are identified). But, I was surprised when visiting my health club yesterday afternoon to see my "old" S80 parked in front.
Not that I was surprised to see our dealer was able to quickly sell the car; it was in great condition when we traded it in for our "new" S80. I like the GPS, improved handling and safety features of our new car, bit it was nostalgic seeing our old one.
Car design has come a long way. When Car 54 was on the air my Dad had just traded in his 1950-era Dodge Wayfarer (the first car he owned) for a "slightly" used Buick Special. The Wayfarer pictured in this post is not (as far as I know), my Dad's car, but it is the same color.
No comments:
Post a Comment